Do you think God is "too good" to send you to hell?

I have noticed a lot of people use the reasoning that God is "too good" to send anyone to hell and that He will just wink at sin and overlook it and just open up the doors to Heaven to welcome everyone. (Of course these same people will adamantly tell you that blatant evil-doers like Hitler are in hell, so I guess they concede that even a merciful God must draw the line somewhere!)

I have an example for those of you who might have thought of God as so all-loving and all-merciful that he would NEVER send people to such a horrible place...

Imagine you are in a court of law confronting the man who murdered someone you loved dearly. You are angry and distraught and you are demanding that justice be served!

Now imagine this kindly old judge has kind of a soft spot for murderers and decides the death penalty - or even life in prison - is just too harsh. His merciful spirit compels him to just sign release papers and hand them over to the guy with a smile and a hug. Now I ask you, is this a "good" judge? Is he just?

Could a God who proclaims His justice to us over and over in scripture ever be guilty of such a gross lack of justice as this? Of course not. Yet this is what people expect God will do for them. They spend their entire lives breaking His laws and shrugging off sin and then think because He is GOOD He will forgive them anyway in the end.

I'm telling you right now... it is BECAUSE HE IS GOOD that He will punish all sin. Period. If your sin hasn't been paid for by Jesus' sacrifice, then you will pay for it yourself. It's not easy to hear the truth, sometimes I think it hurts church people the most because they've essentially gotten used to the idea that they can participate and go through the motions with their church family - but still cling to their sins and do those things that God hates. (Using Jesus as their sin credit card - "I'm gonna go ahead and commit this act of fornication, but Jesus died for my sins, so charge this one to Him, thanks!")

But it's impossible to have a real encounter with the Creator of the Universe and not be changed. So, along with 1 John, I say to you now, if you aren't changed then you aren't saved. (And along with Paul Washer, "If you don't have a new relationship with sin, you don't have a new relationship with God.")